Tuesday, March 13, 2012

More Cooking

Ok, so there is a significant chance that this will, in fact, turn into a food blog, but I've just had so many things I want to make this week.

On Sunday, we went to a practice river crossing in the morning (in preparation for a trip to Fiordland with the Tramping Club). When we got back, cold and soggy, I warmed myself up with a bowl of egg drop soup made with fresh ginger and cilantro.


Then for dinner, in keeping with the Asian theme, Cameron and I prepared a huge pan of pineapple fried rice for our flatmates. We put a lot of vegges and some egg in it and it came out really well.


On Monday, I had a bit of time after class so I went to the super market. I couldn't decide on what to make, so I ended up spending the better part of the evening making several dishes and had an amazing dinner.

First a made mini spinach and feta pockets with a simple homemade pastry dough. They were delicious, but I think if I make them again I will try filo dough, even though it is difficult to work with I think it will come out even better.


I also tried my hand at making polenta, which came out quite well with a bid of cheese and herbs. I made a sauce with onions, tomatoes and kale to go on top of the polenta.


And with the extra kale I made crispy kale chips in the oven.


Dinner is served.


If you want the recipes for any of these dishes, you will have to guess from the pictures, because I have basically been cooking from what I have in the kitchen. I used a few websites for inspiration and the rest I'm just making up as I go.

Now, I actually have to do a bit of reading for my food class (coincidence?) for my group project on the role of chocolate in the industrial revolution. Yum...




No comments:

Post a Comment