Saturday, April 7, 2012

Passover in Dunedin


On Wednesday night, I went to the Otago University Jewish Association vegetarian, potluck seder. We celebrated Passover a little early this year so that people could come together before everyone scattered for the Easter Holiday. I learned that New Zealand has a Jewish population of about 5000 people and I got to meet about a dozen or so, who were in attendance. Aside from the kiwi accents, the seder was exactly what you would expect from a group of 18-25 -- meaning we got about as far as the four questions and blessing the matzo before we dug into the meal. It was a fun evening, with a smattering of half sung songs (due to everyone knowing different versions or the lack of knowing Hebrew) and, of course, the traditional four cups of wine.

I managed to do a little Passover celebrating in my flat as well. I found a box of matzo at the super market (not easy), and set about making my own matzo ball soup. It didn't come out nearly as well as my mom's but it was passable.





Now I am going to make a big batch of matzo brei (the Passover version of french toast) with my leftover matzo. I am also getting organized for a seven day road trip I am about to embark on over the mid-semester break. Next entry: Mt. Cook, Copland Track and Fox Glacier!




No comments:

Post a Comment