Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mid-Semester Break: Part I


On Sunday I set out with my intrepid crew for a week long adventure through the South Island of New Zealand. First stop was Mt. Cook, New Zealand's highest peak, with Jeremy, Amanda and Steph. After a grueling ascent, including endless stairs, slippery scree and Amanda's singing (I won't say which was the worst) we made it to our accommodations, Mueller Hut:


Situated above two glaciers and overlooking Mt. Cook and other mountains of the Southern Alps this hut has an amazing 360 degree view. The peak just behind it in the photo is Mt. Oliver, which we ascended in the morning, and was the first peak that Sir Edmund Hillary climbed, beginning his mountain climbing career.

There were kea birds perched everywhere around the hut, including a pesky on by the outhouse that was giving me funny looks.


At the hut, we met up with Emily and Alicia, who I would continue on with for the next few days. We also met several other backpackers from around the world at the hut and Wayne, the friendly hut warden, who kept us (mostly Steph) in line.

Here is a picture from Mt. Olivier, looking down on the hut.


And on the hike down, the clouds cleared and we got a lovely view of Mt. Cook above the Hooker Glacier. Looking down across the landscape I got to see the moraines and the other features of the glacial landscape that I have been learning about in Geography - guess I don't have to study for my mid-term, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment