Sunday, April 1, 2012

Another Week in Dunedin



This week in Dunedin I spent some quality time in the kitchen (as usual) and cooked up a few new dishes. We also had a lot of sunshine this week so I got to spend a lot of time outside on my usual running routes and exploring new places as well.

On Monday I made really cute mini-frittatas using a muffin tin.


I put potatoes, leeks, spinach and cheese in the firttatas and I also made garlic broccoli on the side. It was delicious and so cute!



On Wednesday I made another new recipe: toasted Israeli couscous with tomatoes and kalamata olives.


Then on Thursday I made lentils with purple and green kale and carrots and rice.


On Saturday, I had my first field trip for school. Our geography professor took us to the Otago Peninsula to study the micro-climates of three different locations. This exercise was part of the climatology unit that we are currently in. We talked about aspect, wind speed and atmospheric pressure and how solar radiation and energy balance differs at the three sights we visited. One of the sites was Taiaroa Head (below) the home of the Royal Albatross Colony. We didn't see any albatrosses but we saw a few seals way down on the rocks.


Later that day I went on a walk to Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world! Baldwin Street in North Dunedin actually holds the Guinness world record for the street with the longest sustained grade. Apparently, city planners made a grid for the city before seeing the local topography, but then they decided to build this ridiculously steep street anyway. Here's a picture of Cam and I at the bottom of the street:

We trekked all the way to the top and, I'm not going to lie, I could feel it in my calves. Here is a picture of me at the top, questioning how someone could live on such a crazy street!





No comments:

Post a Comment