Friday, February 17, 2012

On My Own in Auckland

I arrived in Auckland at 6am on Sunday morning, to find most of the city still asleep. By the time I dropped my bags off at the hotel and found my way to a coffee shop, there were still very few people on the streets. The group from the Arcadia program did not arrive until Tuesday, so I passed the time by exploring the city on my own. I could not check into the hotel until 2pm, so, even though I was exhausted, I managed to wander through the downtown, the harbor, the university, and several parks. Eventually, I made my way up the hill to the Auckland Museum: a great way to spend the better part of the day. The museum had air conditioning, great facilities, and I could rest my weary self while watching videos on volcanoes and Maori wars. After the museum, I also checked out the Wintergardens, a garden complex with two amazing greenhouses, and I also watched some pickup cricket in the park.



Finally, I made it back to the hotel to check in and nap! But I only took a short powernap because I went on a quest to connect to the internet (a not so trivial activity in NZ) and contact my parents/other friends who might have been worrying (or not) about my safe arrival. The public library (three blocks from my hotel) ended up being the best place to find free internet, but, the library was closing just as I arrived. So, I simply joined dozens of others sitting on the library’s front steps, connecting to Wi-Fi on their laptops and i-phones. (Hey, it’s summer here, why not enjoy the internet outside?!)

After the library, I grabbed a delicious dinner of curried vegetable soup with rice at a place called “The Vegan Restaurant” near the sky tower where thrill seekers (strapped to a cable) leap down to the city street below.



On day two in Auckland I spend the morning wandering around K. Rd, a commercial district “characterized by ethnic restaurants, cute shops, and tattoo parlors,” according to my guide book – a description which manifests itself in a near perfect repetition. I then went back to the library to check my e-mail and get a cup of coffee, and then I bought some food at a supermarket for a picnic lunch, and joined dozens of others enjoying the sunshine at Albert Park.



After lunch I went back to the hotel and met up with Scott, another student in the program who arrived early. We wandered around the city together. I had some delicious street food for dinner-- a savory pancake with vegetables and cheese-- and then we went back to the hotel for another early night in anticipation of the big day ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment